Vanpool Enrollment and Participant Benefits
Participant Benefit Option #1
Supplemental Daily-A Scratch-Off Parking PermitsEmployees and Graduate Students participating in the vanpool program receive approximately 4 complimentary Scratch-off Parking Permits per month for times when driving a personal vehicle is necessary. Undergraduate student vanpool participants are not eligible for supplemental parking permits.
Participant Benefit Option #2
Supplemental Metro Bus PassVanpool participants that choose not to receive Scratch-off Parking Permits can elect to receive an annual Staff/Faculty Metro bus pass (for the exclusive use by the vanpool participant; not transferable to family members) free of charge. Student vanpool participants are not eligible for a supplemental Metro bus pass.
Emergency Ride Home Program
- Employees who vanpool are eligible to enroll in the Emergency Ride Home Program which provides a voucher for a free taxi ride; there is no charge for the ERH program. When the time comes and you need an emergency ride, you call the taxi company directly and order a cab ride by giving thorough directions to your campus pick-up location. When you need a new voucher simply email or call the TAPS Sales Office at 831/459-4543.
Take Your Bicycle on the Vanpool
- All vanpool vehicles have bike racks that can carry up to 2 bikes so that participants can ride their bike to meet their vanpool.
How To Join A Vanpool
- Those interested in joining a vanpool should check the Vanpool Routes and Schedules information page to determine if there is a vanpool from your area with a schedule that matches your work schedule. If so, email Joanna Palmer, the vanpool coordinator, or call at 831/459-4289 to find out if there is an available seat in the vanpool that you want to join.
If a vanpool opening exists you can commence enrollment by printing and submitting the Vanpool Application, plus the Employee Passenger Agreement, or the Student Passenger Agreement.
Submit your completed forms in one of the following ways: by Campus Mail to Joanna Palmer at TAPS-Central Garage; by USPS to Joanna Palmer, 1156 High St., TAPS-Central Garage, University of California, Santa Cruz, CA 95064; by Fax: 831-502-7943; or scan and email to Joanna Palmer.
How To Change Vanpools
- If you are enrolled in a vanpool and need to change vanpools because of a schedule change you must make arrangements with the vanpool coordinator before switching vans.
Temporary Leaves of Absence and Medical Leaves
- If you are taking a leave of absence or medical leave and want to temporarily leave a vanpool you must notify the vanpool coordinator in advance. Your seat can be held for up to three months as long as you make arrangement for payment during your leave. If payment is not received and you do not notify the vanpool cooordinator, fees will accrue for missied months, with payment due upon your return.
Leaving the Vanpool Program Permanently
- To disenroll in the vanpool program you must contact the vanpool coordinator 30 days in advance or fees will continue to accrue. If you received a bus pass or daily scratch-off parking permits through the vanpool program you must return those by the end of your last month on the van to avoid additional fees for not returning program items.