Move In Parking Information
Move In Schedule
Please download and review the Move In Schedule Map.
Before You Arrive
Students moving onto campus will have received instructions from their college or housing unit regarding move in times.
“NO Pet” Policy
UCSC has a strictly enforced “no pet” policy. (Animals utilized for disability accommodation as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act are permitted.) If you enter UCSC with a pet (non-service animal) you will be asked to remove your pet from campus. There are several “pet hotels” in Santa Cruz County equipped to board your pet. Check local listings.
Move In Unloading Pass
The individual colleges (i.e. Porter, Kresge, Cowell, etc.), not TAPS, will issue your “Move In Unloading Pass”, either electronically or via email before your scheduled move in day, or at the check-in point when you arrive at campus. This unloading pass serves as both a temporary pass to allow you to unload vehicles near residence halls and a remote parking permit for your assigned move in day only. This “Move In Unloading Pass” is valid in parking lots posted “Move In” only. These passes will not be valid on Monday, September 29th.
When You Arrive - Look For Signs Directing You To Move In Staging Areas
Look for signs marked “WEST” for West colleges posted at Meder Street on Bay Avenue and at the Campus Entrance, or “EAST” for East Colleges posted at the Campus Entrance, Coolidge Drive, and Hagar Drive, directing you to specific College Move In staging areas.
After checking in at a Move In staging area, follow college specific signs to your designated unloading parking lot.
Check-In at Staging Area
Check in with the residential staff when you arrive to the college move in staging area. There may be a waiting period before you are directed from the staging area to move into residence halls or apartments.
Performing Arts Lot 126, Barn Theater Lot 122, Granary Lot 118, and lower campus lots may be used for overflow parking for all Move In activity.
Hahn Student Services and Bookstore Parking
One-hour free parking will be available for convenient access to Hahn Student Services building and Bay Tree Bookstore from Wednesday, September 24th through Tuesday, September 30th. Proceed to the lower Hahn Hahn Student Services parking lot (see map for Lot 101 location).
Temporary Parking Permits
Students, family and friends who plan to have a car on campus before or beyond your move-in date may purchase a temporary parking permit from the TAPS Sales Office (open Monday–Friday, 7am–5pm), located in Barn H on the lower campus (use half-hour free parking in select rows of Lot 116 [see map]). This permit is unnecessary for students who are eligible for parking and plan to purchase a permit for the quarter or academic year (be advised that there is no parking grace period; see details in Parking Permit Options section below).
First and second-year student campus residents, normally ineligible to purchase parking permits, will be able to purchase a remote parking permit (for remote lots only) for a one-week period following move in (valid from September 29th – October 3rd only). All residential first & second-year students must remove their vehicles from campus by Sunday, October 5th, 2014 unless a parking exception by appeal has been granted. Temporary permits will not be issued to students with appeals pending beyond Friday, October 3, 2014.
Parking Permit Options
Commuting students, and residential students with 90 units, who want to purchase a parking permit for the quarter or the academic year should submit a parking permit application online.
If your application is submitted by 11:59pm on August 31st, your parking permit will be mailed to you. If not, it will be held for pick-up. If you apply after this deadline you will need to purchase a permit in person at the TAPS Parking Sales Office (see hours, location, and parking permit pick up information below).
If paying by credit card, when submitting an online parking permit application, your credit card information is securely routed for processing in the Parking Sales Office. Credit cards are not charged via the internet.
Please keep the following in mind:
• There is no parking grace period; all vehicles must display a valid parking permit when parked at UCSC. Please plan accordingly when ordering, receiving, or picking up your parking permit. Parking enforcement hours are from 7am to 8:30pm Monday through Friday in most campus parking lots. Some parking lots have extended parking permit requirement hours; check signs at parking lot entrances for permit requirements.
• Be prepared to provide vehicle registration (see sample image) prior to receiving parking permit.
• When purchasing or picking up your parking permit in person, expect to wait in line for 20 to 45 minutes. The TAPS Sales Office is located in Barn H on the lower campus (see map). Sales Office hours are Monday–Friday, 7am–5pm. From Wednesday, September 24th through Friday, October 7th there will be half-hour free parking in select rows of Campus Facilities Lot 116 (see map) for the purpose of going to the TAPS Sales Office to purchase or pick up a parking permit.
• 1-Day Temporary “R” Remote Permit is $4.00 and valid for parking in one of our three campus remote lots (not available online).
• A vehicle license plate number is required to complete your permit transaction. If your vehicle is new and you are without plates, provide the last 6 digits of your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number).
• Each vehicle requires completion of a separate parking permit application, including a separate application from each member of a carpool (for quarterly and academic year carpool permits).
If you have questions about parking permit orders or eligibility email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 831/459-4543 (leave a voicemail and a staff representative will return your call as soon as possible).