New Employee Parking and Transportation Information
All campus affiliates pay to park at University of California campuses, including UC Santa Cruz. The cost of lot construction and maintenance, alternative transportation options, operations, and administration are all paid for by parking permit sales.
There are many ways to get to and from campus, including an external transit system (Metro buses), an on-campus transit system (Campus Transit), a vanpool program, carpools, and a campus-specific rideshare program (Zimride). There are also bike-related commute options, including a bike shuttle from two off-campus locations, a series of bike lanes and bike paths, bike racks throughout the campus, and showers available for those commuting by bike.
If you need to bring a car to campus, there are numerous parking permit options available. The permit types most commonly used by employees are A (faculty/staff close-in) permits, R (remote lot) permits, MC (motorcycle) permits, or N (night parking only) permits.
Permits and programs that are available at no cost:
- Remote Motorcycle parking permit (application is required)
- TAPS Bike Shuttle
- Bike N' Shower Program (application is required)
- Emergency Ride Home Program (application is required)
Best Parking Permit Options for Full-time Employees
- A Permit (quarterly, annual, or multi-year)
- R Permit (quarterly or annual)
- N permits (quarterly or annual) for those who start work after 3:30 p.m.
- MC permit (quarterly, annual, or multi-year)
Best Parking Permit Options for Part-time Employees or Those Who Drive Occasionally
- Daily-A Scratch-off Packets - a half-packet of 25, or a full packet of 50, daily A Permits that are used as needed by the employee.
- Daily-R Scratch-off Packets - a packet of 25 daily R Remote parking permits that are used as needed by the employee.
- A-Limited-Day Parking Permit - those that work a regular schedule of 1, 2, 3, or 4 days per week can consider purchasing an A-Limited-Day Permit, which is valid in all A and remote parking lots on campus. This permit is offered on an Annual or Quarterly basis and requires a pre-designated schedule of 1, 2, 3, or 4 days per week. The permit is valid only on the days of the week the purchaser designates, and the schedule must remain the same for the entire period of purchase. A-Limited-Day Permits may be augmented by purchasing a scratch-off packet.
Available by payroll deduction:
- A Permit (annual, multi-year, annual limited-day, carpool, daily scratch-off packets)
- R Permit (annual, carpool)
- MC Permit (annual or multi-year)
- UCSC vanpools
- Faculty/Staff Annual Metro bus pass
Note: Annual permits are valid from July 1st (or any date of purchase after July 1) through the following June 30th. Multi-year permits do not need to be renewed from year to year.
Available by cash, check or credit card only:
- A Permit (quarterly, quarterly limited-day, quarterly carpool, monthly, weekly, daily)
- R Permit (montly, weekly, daily)
- MC permit (monthly, weekly, daily)
How To Apply
To purchase a parking permit, bus pass, or to enroll in a commute program, be prepared to provide proof of your employment to the Transportation and Parking Services (TAPS) Sales Office.
- Faculty will need a copy of their Academic Letter of Appointment; staff will need a copy of their ER Form.
- For parking permits, you will need to provide a copy of the vehicle registration for each vehicle you plan to park on campus. You will also need to provide the license plate number(s) of those vehicle(s).
- Complete the online application.
- If you'd like to have your permit or bus pass delivered to you via campus mail, fax your proof of employment and vehicle registration(s) to 831/459-1366. If you plan to pick up your permit or bus pass in person, you can bring your proof of employment and vehicle registration with you to the TAPS Sales Office during business hours (7:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday).
Please allow a minimum of 72 hours for processing; it may take longer at the beginning of the quarter (during permit renewal periods).
Please note that TAPS does not mail Daily Scratch-off packets; you may arrange to pick them up at the TAPS Sales Office.
For Vanpool Information and Enrollment
Please contact the Vanpool Coordinator at 831/459-4289.